<AWT Dev> RFR: 8266459: Implement JEP 411: Deprecate the Security Manager for Removal [v3]

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.java.net
Thu May 20 07:08:35 UTC 2021

On Thu, 20 May 2021 04:22:32 GMT, Phil Race <prr at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> That is unfortunate, but nonetheless I think required to be done.
>> We have acknowledeged this can't reasonably be called an RFE, so the JEP is introducing bugs/technical debt/call it what you will. This should generally be part of a sandbox for the JEP and fixed before integration of the JEP.
>> From my point of view it is a blocker.
>
> The JEP isn't PTT for 17 so there's plenty of time isn't there ?

There are 827 files in this patch. Phil is right that adding SW at the class level is introducing technical debt but if addressing that requires refactoring and re-testing of AWT or font code then it would be better to have someone from that area working on. Is there any reason why this can't be going on now on awt-dev/2d-dev and integrated immediately after JEP 411? I don't think we should put Max through the wringer here as there are too many areas to cover.