<AWT Dev> RFR: 8182043: Access to Windows Large Icons [v10]

Sergey Bylokhov serb at openjdk.java.net
Thu May 20 08:29:41 UTC 2021

On Thu, 20 May 2021 08:13:21 GMT, Alexander Zuev <kizune at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/java.desktop/share/classes/javax/swing/filechooser/FileSystemView.java line 272:
>>
>>> 270:     * returned is a multi-resolution icon image,
>>> 271:     * which allows better support for High DPI environments
>>> 272:     * with different scaling factors.
>>
>> Is the above text correct on all platforms? If it is not always MRI then how the user should use the icon? instanceof+cast? BTW an example does not show how to solve the bug itself, on how to access the "large icons".
>>
>> Need to clarify: the implSpec is a part of the specification so can we point the non public "ShellFolder" class?
>
> implSpec marks that the paragraph below describes the details and logic of the default implementation and not the API specification. This tag also says that it can be changed in overriding or extending methods so it is Ok to specify non-public class to help describe the implementation specifics.
>
> As for the correctness on all platforms - that's the end goal of this new method and i believe it should be implemented this way everywhere where technically possible. But exact implementation on all platforms except Windows is outside of the scope of this exact changeset.

The @implSpec is part of the specification, it is different from the @implNote, no?
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8266541?focusedCommentId=14419988&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-14419988

If we will specify this method in a way that will require support on all platforms we will get tck-red immediately after this push.