<Beans Dev> [9] Review Request: 8156043 Unstable behavior of PropertyDescriptor's getWriteMethod() in case of overloaded setters

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Fri May 27 13:19:56 UTC 2016

On 27.05.16 15:37, Semyon Sadetsky wrote:
>> It is obviously that the added code discards nothing, it is a wrapper
>> on top of the Class.getMethods(), which make the order of methods stable.
> Right. But only the first overloaded method in this order will survive.
> So one way or another this order determines which property to discard.

Now you can reread the first sentence in the review request:
"We have a number of bugs which state that our JavaBeans randomly does
not work, examples: JDK-6807471[1] , JDK-6788525[2], the reason is that
the order of methods from Class.getMethods() is not specified"

Summarize what I said a few times:
  - We have a number of bugs which we cannot reproduce and after the fix
it will be an easy task.
  - The fix does not change the logic of selection or discarding the
properties. All cases was possible before the fix with some probability.
  - The goal of the fix is to remove randomness of our behavior.
  - A separate bug was filed to investigate the reason of some behavior.
Those bug will be fixed(if will) via separate fix in another part of the
code, where we actually take care about hierarchy of classes and types.

--
Best regards, Sergey.