Proposal idea - generators

Neal Gafter neal at gafter.com
Wed Apr 1 14:41:34 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Howard Lovatt <howard.lovatt at iee.org> wrote:
> Note I am not
> proposing, and I don't believe the original poster was either, a
> continuation style yield. More a Scala and other non-lazy functional
> language style were the results are stored in a Map and the Map is
> returned, i.e. like applying (mapping) a function to each element of a
> list but with more control (in particular break and continue
> functionality).

Scala's comprehensions using their standard libraries are lazy.  See,
for example, Iterator.range.  C#'s iterator methods are translated
into a state machine (i.e. coroutines) and are inherently lazy.  F#
and OCaml are the most widely used non-lazy functional languages, but
their comprehensions are lazy too.  So I'm not sure what you're saying
your proposal is comparable to.