Automatic Resource Management, V.2

Rémi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Mon Apr 20 03:43:45 PDT 2009

Joshua Bloch a écrit :
> Rémi,
>
> Good question. We did it to eliminate the possibility of name clashes
> in existing programs. JBoss actually uses the name AutoCloseable.
> Types in java.lang are automatically imported, and putting
> AutoCloseable in java.lang.auto avoids this issue. It doesn't make the
> construct any less usable, as you don't have to mention AutoCloseable
> explicitly to use the construct.
>
> Josh

I don't like the fact that the JDK will contains a package with only one
interface
just to avoid name clash that is hypothetical because classes of the
current package are imported
before java.lang ones and everybody should avoid to use import *.

In my opinion, (which is biased) , I prefer sacrificing  source backward
compatibility to having to take
15 minutes each year because I will have to explain to my students why
the package
java.lang.auto with one interface exists.

Else what about renaming (yes again) AutoCloseable to ARMCloseable ?

Rémi