Indexing access for Lists and Maps considered harmful?

Dalibor Topic Dalibor.Topic at Sun.COM
Fri Jun 26 15:47:59 PDT 2009

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:
> Paul Benedict wrote:
>> I am not a fan of this proposal in general. Two things to comment on:
>>
>> (1) Collections are located in java.util, but the JLS can only
>> reference classes in java.lang, correct? If I have my facts correct
>> (doubting), this enhancement would set a new precedent by having a
>> language feature reach into a non-lang package.
>>
> Look at java.lang.Iterable. It was added to implement forach operator
> and by that JLS indirectly references java.util.Iterator.

JLS 3 §8.3.1.3 transient Fields references java.io.Serializable, for example.

cheers,
dalibor topic
--
Dalibor Topic                   Tel: (+49 40) 23 646 738
Java F/OSS Ambassador           AIM: robiladonaim
D-20097 Hamburg                 mailto:Dalibor.Topic at sun.com
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel