Proposal: Improved Exception Handling for Java

Reinier Zwitserloot reinier at zwitserloot.com
Tue Mar 3 02:06:34 PST 2009

Maybe I'm making this too simple, but what if javac will treat all
catch blocks of a type that isn't thrown by the try block as warnings
instead of errors? That fixes Neal's Improved Exception Handling issue
of not being 100% source compatible with java 6, no?

I assume source compatibility where code that is clearly broken
results in a warning in java 7 (but is still compiled with exactly the
same semantics) whereas it was silently compiled by java 6 is only
good news.

Also, because in just about every other language on the JVM, checked
exceptions can be thrown without being declared, I think this is a
good idea in general, considering that java wants to be more
interoperable with non-java JVM languages. To work around this issue
now, you have to either wrap the call in a wrapper method that adds
the exception to the throws list, or you have to create a dummy method
that declares the throwable in the throws list but doesn't throw it,
just so javac will stop refusing to compile your code. That's clearly
a hack solution, and the elimination of it should be a good thing,
even if you need to use a @SuppressWarnings instead, no?

Should I write up a proposal for this? Should Neal add it to his
proposal? Or is it just a horribly stupid idea? :)

  --Reinier Zwitserloot