Simple Resource Clean-up

Roger Hernandez rhvarona at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 00:34:11 PST 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Joshua Bloch <jjb at google.com> wrote:

> Roger,
>
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Roger Hernandez <rhvarona at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I saw how the previous Automatic Resource Management proposal got torn to
>> pieces
>

> That's not quite fair.  Only one person objected, and I had good responses
> to all of his objections.  So I believe the proposal is alive and well.
>  Others have informed me (off list) that they see Automatic Resource
> Management as perhaps the most valuable language change that we could
> introduce for Java 7.
>
>       Regards,
>
>       Josh

You are right, I used strong wording but my concern was that the proposal
would not be followed up on, and we would have to live with another 4 years
of this before JDK 1.8 came out.

I think that your proposal, Automatic Resource Management is definitely more
thought out and more complete than what I proposed, and handles more complex
scenarios and corner cases.   It would be a very valuable feature if it gets
into JDK 1.7.  However, I am worried that the extra complexity will cause it
to be dropped altogether, so if something gets implemented that takes care
of the simpler scenarios that make up 80% of the cases, that would be good
enough from my point of view.

Thanks,

--
Roger Hernandez