Proposal: Automatic Resource Management

Neal Gafter neal at gafter.com
Tue Mar 3 18:47:57 PST 2009

I guess I assumed you were aware why people complain about
Closeable.close() throwing IOException.  Josh alluded to this when he
said that Disposable won't be terribly useful as a parameter type.
When you pass it somewhere, the receiver must assume that the close()
method throws any Exception, and that forces the receiver to write
code to handle the whole Exception hierarchy.  I think it's likely
that programmers would want to pass a Disposable around so that the
receiver can put a region of code under control of the resource (i.e.
dispose it when the receiver arrives at some particular point of
completion).  I'm afraid this would just be trading one set of pain
points for another.