Proposal: Automatic Resource Management

Bob Lee crazybob at crazybob.org
Sat Mar 7 22:22:53 PST 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Neal Gafter <neal at gafter.com> wrote:

> I guess we disagree on that.  I believe it is not appropriate for a
> language construct to generate code equivalent to
>
>    catch (Exception ignored) { /* discarded */ }
>
> when the exception may represent program/programmer error.

Throwable.printStackTrace() should print the suppressed stack traces.
Instead of saying "caused by", it'll say "suppressed". It's better to err on
the side of too much information so long as it's not repetitive. As someone
who futilly tried parsing the default stack trace format a few years back, I
doubt adding a "suppressed" line in there will make existing parsers any
less stable.

Bob