Coin Considerations

Reinier Zwitserloot reinier at zwitserloot.com
Sat Mar 14 07:04:46 PDT 2009

So what proposals are still fermenting in the minds of coin
contributors? Inspired by the recent discussion between Joe D'Arcy and
Mark Mahieu that people are possibly thinking someone else will be
proposing it.

Here's my list (* means: Definitely 'believe' in it, just need the
time, and '-' means: Not entirely sure it can be made simple enough
for coin / is a good idea in the first place):

  * Make catching exceptions that are never thrown a warning instead
of an error + new key for @SuppressWarnings

  * A 'return this' mechanic which makes creating builders easier.

  - backticks mean identifier, regardless of string content. Allows
you to make a method named 'for', or call a method named '+'. Depends
on a semi-official list on how to translate illegal identifier names
such as '+' to legal ones, such as '$plus'. If that doesn't exist,
this gets more complicated because you'd have to write it up.

  - factory interfaces (an interface to describe constructors and
static methods). I've got a simple way to do it, but I don't think its
simple enough for coin.

  --Reinier Zwitserloot