Array syntax for collections [was Re: Extended arrays declaration and access syntax with use of enumerated types]

Marek Kozieł develop4lasu at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 19:44:19 PDT 2009

2009/3/14 Mark Mahieu <markmahieu at googlemail.com>

> Stephen,

> That's interesting.  Did you get any feeling for *why* it was disliked?
>
> I get the impression that a lot of 'mostly sugar' suggestions receive
> a more negative reaction at first blush.  I'm pretty sure even
> foreach was initially greeted with a certain amount of disdain by
> some people.
>
> Mark
>

> @Mark

I'll tell you my reason:
I barely use List or Map because they are to weak.
So while I have my own implementation which is able to handle both List and
Map I would be unable to use this syntax.
Some interesting solution would be introducing interface:
interface Array<T> {

 T get(int index);

 // T get(T element); // array[ element ];
 T set(int index,T element);
  // boolean add(T element); // array[]=element;
}

... replaceable with [], but I doubt about it.

What's more I almost do not use indexes.

--
Pozdrowionka. / Regards.
Lasu aka Marek Kozieł

http://lasu2string.blogspot.com/