Feedback and comments on ARM proposal - resend

Reinier Zwitserloot reinier at zwitserloot.com
Wed Mar 18 17:16:14 PDT 2009

Obviously, in response to a failed close() on an OutputStream, you'd
do the same thing you usually do on a failed write():

You consider the entire writing of the file, from start to finish, as
a failed endeavour. You then pop up a dialog box to the user to
explain why the file save operation failed, for example, or you return
a certain HTTP error, or you actively ignore the exception because
you're just writing some cache info for the next instance.

If at any time you are dependent on a -specific- write() call's
exceptions, you should ALWAYS call flush() in between.

Is there anyone else other than Howard who considers AutoClosable NOT
throwing any exceptions a good idea? If not, I think we can move on.

  --Reinier Zwitserloot