(update) Use "default" keyword for default visibility

Joseph D. Darcy Joe.Darcy at Sun.COM
Sun Mar 22 14:35:18 PDT 2009

Greetings.

Joseph D. Darcy wrote:
> Hello.
>
> While the lack of an explicit name for the default accessibility in
> Java has slightly annoyed me at times over the years, I don't think it
> in isolation is such a troublesome issue that a language change is
> warranted.

I've conferred with Alex on this request.  Since the JSR 294 expert
group is working on adding a "module" accessibility level to the
language, that group is in a good position to weigh the pros and cons of
adding an explicit "package" modifier at the same time, a change they
are considering.  Therefore, Project Coin should defer the decision on
an explicit package modifier to the JSR 294 expert group.

-Joe