Proposal: Large arrays

Reinier Zwitserloot reinier at zwitserloot.com
Tue Mar 24 14:38:31 PDT 2009

Arrays are extremely ugly. They don't follow java's usual semantics at
all; they have a read-only field, which java normally doesn't have. I
don't actually consider 'length' a field at all. "length" just happens
to be java's first context sensitive keyword. They don't have a
sensible toString(), which is, well, "stupid" is being too kind,
really. Their type system is broken (covariance, which is wrong, see
generics), with a patchy runtime hack to make sure you can't actually
crash the JVM with it. They are extremely hard to use because they
don't grow on demand, and they have 0 useful methods, though some of
them have been squirreled away in java.util.Arrays.

I'd be more supportive of a proposal that excises the blight of arrays
from java altogether. Or, perhaps somewhat more realistically, a
retrofit to move arrays into the proper collections API, where they
have a bunch of useful methods, .length becomes deprecated and .size()
is preferred instead, they are instanceof List<T>, and at the very
least have halfway sensible hashCode(), equals(), and toString()
implementations.

The point of this rant: I actually laughed when I read "Is there a
compelling reason for [length] to use a method rather than a field"?
Anything done with arays is beyond salvation in the ugliness department.

I think josh's point that existing APIs that deal with arrays are not
going to handle this correctly is a very good one, and making
overloaded methods (a 'large array' twin) can't be the right answer
either: A properly implemented library would then have 3 methods that
do the exact same thing - one for arrays, one for large arrays, and
one for lists... and while we're at it, at some future point,
undoubtedly one for large lists as well.

  --Reinier Zwitserloot
Like it? Tip it!
http://tipit.to