Any interest in raw strings?

Vilya Harvey vilya.harvey at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 16:31:49 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I don't think I've seen a proposal for raw strings - string literals which
ignore escape sequences - yet. Would there be enough interest to write this
up as a proposal?

The idea is stolen shamelessly from Python, where you can write a raw string
as r"[\n\r\t]" and it's equivalent to the normal string "[\\n\\r\\t]" (i.e.
you don't need to double the backslash in a raw string, it's just treated
like any other character). This is most useful when writing regular
expressions; in fact, it may *only* be useful then. But for that one case it
is extremely handy.

Any opinions?

Vil.