PROPOSAL: Unchecked Exceptions as Subclasses of Checked Exceptions

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Wed Mar 25 16:10:53 PDT 2009

Alan Snyder wrote:
> Unchecked Exceptions as Subclasses of Checked Exceptions
> 	public class TheCheckedException extends Exception {};
>
> 	public class TheUncheckedException extends TheCheckedException implements
> UncheckedException {};

I like the idea.

I'm not sure if its actually feasible. I suspect that its more complex
than it seems.

I'm also not sure whether there are that many real use cases. Most of
the time you control your exception hierarchy (so you can choose
unchecked) or you have to live with a published API (the JDK) and so it
can't be changed.

Stephen