PROPOSAL: Language Escape Operator

Bruce Chapman brucechapman at paradise.net.nz
Sat Mar 28 01:24:58 PDT 2009

Reinier Zwitserloot wrote:
> Can you give me a use-case that used a back-tick? I found the property
> keyword one to be very un-compelling (in fact, I would use it as proof
> that we don't need it, and that even if it was available, it wouldn't
> even be used. If I was designing an AST view language, I wouldn't do
> that, and if I had to pick one, I'd count the need to type a backtick
> as a major con). I think we're misunderstanding each other on some
> topics because of a lack of examples. I understand the point of this
> operator is for there to be NO actual use-cases yet, but nevertheless,
> gazing into the future should give some possible examples, no matter
> how esoteric.
OK, so Property would be fairly easy to parse in the absence of an
escape operator. I have used the property plugin on a real project and
typing the backtick wasn't a major negative.

So some more examples - straight off the top of my head

what about operator overloading say

BigDecimal a,b,c;

b = a \+ c;   <=> b = a.add(c);

or String switches where the first syntax error wrt  JLS occurs way
after the start of the statement.  (I am assuming in the absence of a
language escape you'd use a parsing error for the standard java language
to trigger a reparse with various loaded sugars.)

Or here's a favourite PITA for me. There is no simple obvious way to
pass a generic type as an annotation value. What you can do is have the
annotation value be a Class<?>[], then just parse the supplied classes
assuming no raw types, recursive read as many type parameters as you need.

@interface SomeReasonForAType {
   Class<?>[] value();
}

so when you wanted to specify Map<String,List<String>> it would be
encoded as  {Map.class,String.class, List.class, String.class}

now what if we got an IDE hosted syntactic sugar for that with the
following mapping

\Map<String,List<String>>   <=> {Map.class,String.class, List.class,
String.class}

maybe only when used as an annotation value.

Stefan Schulz has explained the back tick problem to me (I only use a
US-101 keyboard so back tick is no big deal) and I think that is a good
enough reason to maybe use one of the other available characters. Don't
get hung up on the individual character, it is easily changed at this
point. Would you prefer \? . I'd be happy to change it to \, there are
some semantic advantages to \.

> NB: Loved your slides on the topic. I have comments because I care :P
Glad about that. I was a wondering how much they made sense in the
absence of the narrative, its pretty hard to know when you've done it
yourself with the aim of Illustrating a talk.

Have you made comment somewhere regarding the slides? or are you
referring to these comments on coin-dev?

thanks

Bruce