PROPOSAL: Compiletime information access

Joseph D. Darcy Joe.Darcy at Sun.COM
Sun Mar 29 00:14:27 PDT 2009

rssh at gradsoft.com.ua wrote:
[snip]
>>>  -  improving proposal about access to compile-time information about
>>> local context can have some sence (?)
>>>

>> Given the existing capabilities of annotation processors, I don't think
>> the proposed API is necessary or desirable.
>>
> </cite>
> <IMHO>
>  I does not understand, why Joseph Darcy think, that existing capabilities
> of annotation processing may allows programmer use compile-time
> information about local context (it's not true for now).
> </IMHO>

Joe Darcy thinks standardized annotation processing is an existing
feature in the platform to address problems in the space of analyzing
programs and generating code.  The first-line solution to problems in
this space is to approach the problem in a way that can be addressed by
the existing annotation processing facilities.  Even if a particular
worthwhile issue in this class of problem cannot be solving by
annotation processing (or a small extension to annotation processing),
we will probably choose to not provide a solution to the problem in the
platform because the marginal utility of the solution over annotation
processing is likely to be too small.

-Joe