PROPOSAL: language support for JSR 292

Neal Gafter neal at gafter.com
Sun Mar 29 00:55:42 PDT 2009

John-

Could you please send the proposal to this list?

I don't really understand the intended specification with respect to
Dynamic.  It is one the one hand described as an object type (e.g.
section 1.9) but on the other hand it doesn't inherit from Object
(section 1.1).  You can't have it both ways.  I can't tell, for
example, whether Dynamic is a valid type in a generic type parameter.
If the answer is yes, then it must have Object as a supertype.  You
might find it useful to review what C# has done in this area with
their type "dynamic".  In short, it occupies the same location in C#'s
type lattice as Object, but it has some additional conversions defined
that are not subtype relationships.

I don't believe this is a "small change".  However, if it is going to
happen anyway in JDK 7 to support jsr292, I can see the sense in
having it dealt with in the same expert group as four or so other
small, local changes.

Regards,
Neal