Naked dot - accessing object fields through unqualified "." [C1]

Reinier Zwitserloot reinier at zwitserloot.com
Tue Mar 31 06:03:19 PDT 2009

'Self-assignment is forbidden' would not be backwards compatibile.
Yes, such code would most likely be a bug, but its still an issue. It
would have to be a warning, at best.

However:

Every single external java compiler I know of will warn you when you
self-assign. Eclipse does it. So does netbeans. So does IDEA. So does
pmd. So does findbugs.

If you internalize the self-assignment warning, where do you stop?
There are literally hundreds of 'duh, that must be a bug' warnings you
could generate. Not all of them are as obvious, or as non-contentious,
as 'self assignment'. So, where do you stop? Do we use the glacial
nature of the language changes process to set this up? I say: No. The
community has done a fine job of addressing these issues by creating
code checkers. So, I'd instead suggest:

Any improvements to java core in this area should focus on improving
the ability for external tools to integrate better. For example, a way
to extend @SuppressWarnings with additional keywords would be great. A
way to let javac auto-find (via the SPI system) 'warning/error'
plugins would be another fine idea. Having any kind of plugin system
for the official javac to give other tools a go at creating warnings
and errors on the AST that javac's parser is building would be good
already, using SPI to find these automatically is just one way of
doing it. I'm not sure APT is quite right for the job; I don't want to
litter annotations to the gist of '@ExtensivelyCheckMe' all over the
place.

  --Reinier Zwitserloot