list literal gotcha and suggestion

Kai Kunstmann Kai.Kunstmann at combase.de
Wed Oct 7 09:19:10 PDT 2009

Having the compiler decide on the runtime type of an object in
"literal"-disguise with multiple distinct interfaces as potential
results leads to serious confusion -- not to mention the effort to
define the language rules for this confusion.
It get's even uglier with an explicit cast as a "compile-time hint".

Why not use a simple factory method in the first place (with some extra
for the map-entry creation)?

I really don't like the idea of literals as placeholders for
implementations of selected interfaces, especially this ambiguous
one-for-all way. This is supposed to be syntactic sugar!