JDK7 language specification issue with MethodHandle

Neal Gafter neal at gafter.com
Mon Apr 4 21:57:50 PDT 2011

Project coin took on the task of specifying language changes related to
method handles,  invokeDynamic, and other jsr292-related things.  In the end
project coin's leaders decided not to specify any Java language changes in
jdk7 for jsr292.

The documentation for MethodHandle (see "Method Handle Compilation" in <
http://download.java.net/jdk7/docs/api/java/lang/invoke/MethodHandle.html>)
appears to contradict the requirements of the Java Language Specification by
describing compiler behavior that does not conform to the requirements of
the JLS.  I have not checked, but I would not be surprised if jdk7's javac
also fails to satisfy the specification in this area.  This is the kind of
backdoor language change that Java's corporate owner has consistently
considered a clear violation of Java trademark licensing requirements.

Are there any plans to resolve this?  Are the required language changes
going into the JLS through some other mechanism?

Cheers,
Neal