Multiline string literals

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Mon Aug 8 01:16:53 PDT 2011

On 07/08/11 14:54, Artur Biesiadowski wrote:
> Because it is not only about multiline literals, it is about avoiding
> escaping common expressions - in particular, "" delimited strings.
>
> This is why somebody was discussing 'single line multiline string
> literal' here ;)
Hi,
it seems to me that we are asking for a silver bullet that solves all
our string-related problems; how much would we need escaping for
delimited strings if we had explicit syntax support for XML, JSON (etc.)
literals (possibly checked at compile-time against a schema?) - at the
end of the day, a string is a string - there's nothing much the compiler
can do about it; on the other hand, most of the examples of multiline
strings I've seen in this discussion do have a 'structure' that can be
checked.

Maurizio