Update on Coin futures from JavaOne

Joe Darcy joe.darcy at oracle.com
Sat Nov 12 17:33:53 PST 2011

Hi Bruce,

Sorry for the belated reply.

Yes, the omission of addressing the issue of providing additional
literals to more sensibly initialize byte values was deliberate; we
don't view addressing that as having as high a priority as addressing
other shortcomings.

Above a maintenance threshold, other small language changes will have to
go through the JEP processes.  For example, IMO changing the
try-with-resources statement to accept an effectively final variable as
a resource to manage (as opposed to requiring a new variable to be
declared as done in Java SE 7) would *not* require a JEP.

-Joe