Review request for 5049299

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Thu May 28 09:52:05 UTC 2009

* Michael McMahon:

>>   The file descriptor setup race mentioned in the comments shouldn't
>> apply, really--the reshuffling should occur in the child, isolated
>> from the parent, otherwise the implementation is quite broken and
>> pointless.
>>

> But you can't expect an arbitrary command (eg. "/bin/ls") to do any
> "reshuffling". It has to be done by something
> in between the parent and the target command.

I think you could implement this with actions set up using
posix_spawn_file_actions_adddup2.

> The other problem, is the requirement to change working directory
> for the target. posix_spawn() doesn't allow this.

Oh well, I agree that this is a problem.  This is a significant gap in
the API.  (OTOH, the API is extensible, so it should be possible to
address this, but probably not in the time frame for this bug.)

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99