Test: test/sun/nio/cs

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Thu Jun 24 01:15:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:01, Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman at oracle.com> wrote:
> Xueming Shen wrote:
>>
>> (2)FindDecoderBugs
>>   The only possible cause of its failure on a particular platform is
>> timeout, this test takes long cpu time
>>   on slow machine. I tweak it a little, it runs about 30% faster now. It
>> passes the last several jprt runs
>>   on all platforms.

FindDecoderBugs was a very useful test, but IIRC the 5-minute runtime
is overkill for finding regressions, and you can't exhaustively test
all possible byte sequences anyways.  It should be possible to use my
pet strategy of generating a random subset of interesting byte
sequences,

            testExhaustively(prefix, 1);
            testExhaustively(prefix, 2);
            // Can you spare a week of CPU time?
            // testExhaustively(cs, tester, prefix, 3);

            testRandomly(prefix, 3);
            testRandomly(prefix, 4);

so the test could have a 10-second mode and a 10-minute mode.
But I'm not volunteering.

BTW, Thank y'all very much for making these test robustness
improvements.  They are appreciated.

Martin