java.util.Pair

Jason Mehrens jason_mehrens at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 23:11:58 UTC 2010

Stephen,

I'm all for adding support for unmodifiableIterable, unmodifableNavigableMap, and unmodifableNavigableSet.  However, I think adding public access to such a iterator decorator goes against the guidelines of the collections design faq (4 and 5):

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/collections/designfaq.html#8

So following the guideline of never passing an Iterator around, that leaves you with the following:

1. Your custom container is backed by collection, use Collections.unmodifiableXXX(this.internal).iterator()

2. Your custom container is backed by an array, use Arrays.asList, followed by point 1.

3. Your custom container has specialized layout, you have to write an iterator with a remove implementation that removes or throws and the unmodifable one is easy to write.

Assuming that JDK had unmodifiableIterable decorator, is there is there a corner case that I'm not seeing or is the main reservation the extra method calls and creation of some well behaved garbage?

Jason