Bound MethodHandle at runtime

Sebastian Sickelmann sebastian.sickelmann at gmx.de
Wed Jul 20 19:42:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

first of all. Your Job at invokedynamic is really awesome. I have started a project called "mockinject" at java.net a few year ago that need to hook inside method calls and invokedynamic will make it really easy to do it in jdk7. I got some problem with the actual implementation some time ago, but i want to restart the project with invokedymic.

mockinject does a lot of byte-code-fiddeling and this is really bug intensive.
So i decided to start another project "jvmdebug" that emulates the real byte-code-instruction-execution with simulation-code which has debug-information-pointers to asm-dumps of the real-class. My favorite IDE detects the debug-information show the asm-dump and so it looks like you are debugging the byte-code.

And here is my question: Is there a way to identify the actually bound method-handle that will be used by an invokedynimic call? It would be really usefull for the user to get this information before executing the invokedynamic instruction.

Kind regards
Sebastian