Regression in OpenJDK8 Makefiles

Kelly O'Hair kelly.ohair at oracle.com
Wed Jul 27 18:58:59 UTC 2011

On Jul 27, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Dr Andrew John Hughes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone please tell me why:
>
> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/tl/jdk/rev/cf4edfcd7119
>
> reverted my earlier fix:
>
> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/tl/jdk/rev/80368890a2a0
>
> without any discussion?

My apologies, the webrev should have been made public.

> The correct fix would have been to bump the boot source language/target class
> versions to 7, not erase the lines altogether.

Unfortunately, that did not work with jdk7 as a boot, and jdk6 won't work as a boot jdk
soon anyway. Since we will be requiring a jdk7 as the boot jdk, I did not feel it was needed
to even specify this. Anything compiled with the boot javac technically doesn't care what
the source/target is, or should, and the class files created just need to work with the boot jdk,
and should not be shipped as part of the jdk8 being built.

When I looked at the Makefiles, there was no comment as to why we even had to set the -source
or -target options when using the boot javac at all.
My conclusion was that it was unnecessary, and deleting these lines made 'jdk7 as boot' work.

If that was wrong I apologize, why does this matter?

-kto