A bug in filesystem bootstrap (unix/ linux) prevents

Dawid Weiss dawid.weiss at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 08:04:57 UTC 2012

Thanks for the explanation, it helps.

Maybe I should follow-up with the rationale of why we want to override
it in the first place. We randomize file.encoding to a small subset of
JVM-supported encodings to make sure there are no hidden
encoding-specific issues in Lucene/ Solr. This is actually a great way
of catching calls to String.getBytes() and such which typically work
fine but once moved to actual user environment start to break because
of different encodings.

Maybe I'm missing something but -Dfile.encoding seems to be the only
way to change the defaults used for String.getBytes(), new
String(byte[]) and such, correct? Sure, it's legacy APIs that are
broken/ problematic from the very beginning but they're there and
there should be a way to externally say "use this and that charset for
the default"...

Yes, we could do static analysis to catch these but the problem remains.

Dawid