[7u8] [Re: RFR [7u6]: 7166896: DocumentBuilder.parse(String uri) is not IPv6 enabled. It throws MalformedURLException

Joe Wang huizhe.wang at oracle.com
Tue Jul 10 01:42:05 UTC 2012

Hi Paul,

I'm back from vacation.

You're right. But such an error is also expected.  The original design
never tried to out-do the java.net.URL.  If a system ID input fails URL,
it shall result in an exception.

The patch that supplied the extra encoding was provided to both Sun and
Apache, and applied to Sun sources. However, it never went into the
Apache code base (refer to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1156).  I thought of
removing the patch, bringing our source in sync with that of Apache. But
then I feared that we might get a regression since the patch has been in
the source for so many years.

Thus, this ugly solution (removing would be prettier) to leave the old
change as is but use java.net.URL in all other cases.

By the way, we can only consider this one for 7u8 now.

Thanks,
Joe