Codereview request for 6653797: Reimplement JDK charset repository charsets.jar

Xueming Shen xueming.shen at oracle.com
Mon Jul 16 16:59:13 UTC 2012

On 7/16/2012 9:30 AM, Ulf Zibis wrote:
> Hi Sherman,
>
> as I just said for 7183053, I can't look in the details at the moment,
> as I do not have suitable environment installed at the moment.
>
> Just one comment: I think it should be possible to share the mapping
> data partly across charsets, so the charsets.jar would be decreased
> again more?

Yes,  it might be desirable to share some of the mappings, especially
among those variants. But as
I suggested at the very beginning of the project, the priority for now
is to move all the charsets to
the new mapping based/build-time generated implementation, then it opens
the door for new
optimization,  any improvement on those base classes and the "generator"
tools (to share the
mapping, for example) will be shared by all the sub-classes/classes.
While it might be ideal to
achieve all the goals at one shot, our resource restrict really does not
allow me to spend most
of my time on it (mapping re-generate really takes time and I have to
test from various angles
to make sure it does not break anything and not miss any corner case).
This is more like a
side-project (sure I do have a JEP for it but...) for now and I just
found two "spare" weeks to push
these two RFEs out.  I might have more time on charsets later around the
end development
stage of JDK8.

-Sherman