8029886: Change SecurityManager check{TopLevelWindow, SystemClipboardAccessAwtEventQueueAccess} to check AllPermission

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Tue Dec 10 13:51:54 UTC 2013

In JDK 8 we deprecated the JDK 1.1-era SecurityManager methods
checkTopLevelWindow, checkSystemClipboard and
checkAccessAwtEventQueueAccess with a warning that they would be changed
in a future release to check AllPermission. At the same time we changed
the java.awt.Window and Toolkit methods to use checkPermission directly
so that the legacy methods aren't used. The motive for all this is
modules of course and the strong desire to remove the dependency on
java.awt.AWTPermission.

I'd like to get the second phase of this work into JDK 9 early to give
every opportunity to find any potential issues. The second phase of this
work changes the SecurityManager methods to check AllPermission and
updates the implementation to remove the reflection hackery that was
used to allow this code work without AWT being present (something that
was needed for the profiles build).

The webrev with the changes is here:
   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alanb/8029886/webrev/

The main thing that I'd like to get agreement on is the wording for the
updated methods and also agreement from the AWT group to move the
permission constants to a new class sun.awt.AWTPermissions.

-Alan.