RFR of lang level code migration patches

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Thu Dec 19 14:51:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

Here are some patches that migrate some code to use more up to date language features. I will create a bug later on after feedback.

This is motivated from Brian's patches to lang tools.

I focused just on java.util, minus the concurrent packages, and i used the IDE to assist in the code migration. It's easy to pick off other packages over time. This makes for more of a low-brow effort [*], perfect when one has a cold.

Use <> syntax:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/tl/j.u.diamond/webrev/

Replace for with for-each
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/tl/j.u.foreach/webrev/

Replace while with for-each
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/tl/j.u.foreach-while/webrev/

Compress catches
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/tl/j.u.catch/webrev/

Use switch for strings; not sure this one is worth it
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/tl/j.u.swtich/webrev/

I ran all the j.u. tests locally and there were no regressions. Yet to run a JPRT job.

Paul.

[*] although one needs to be vigilant since sometimes the IDE can refactor incorrectly and sometimes code is arranged in a certain way for a reason (which one reason for leaving j.u.concurrent packages alone for now).