RFR (M) : JDK-8004561 : Addition Functional Interfaces for Lambda Libraries
mike.duigou at oracle.com
Wed Feb 20 03:52:33 UTC 2013
On Feb 19 2013, at 19:37 , David Holmes wrote:
> On 20/02/2013 6:22 AM, Mike Duigou wrote:
>> Thank you for the feedback David.
> So what got updated, if anything, before the push?
Everything. With the exception of the > which I mentioned in my response I accepted all of your feedback suggestions as well as Chris's. It was good feedback!
> The biggest gripe I have with reviewing all this stuff is being able to keep track of what comments have been made, what comments have been acted upon and what is still outstanding.
Yes, from experience it's been too easy for review feedback and comments to get lost. I do try to either address as many of the comments as possible and proceed to produce an updated webrev or if nothing seems blocking, push the changeset.
> I'd love to see a nightly doc build with change bars; or a doc build with "annotations" highlighting known issues. Don't know if we have any tools capable of that though.
We don't unfortunately. And ultimately you'd want to be able to diff any two arbitrary versions from the repository. Tools like specdiff do exist for this but aren't hooked up in such a way to make generating the necessary reports simple. It's an infrastructure and tooling shortcoming. :-(
>> On Feb 18 2013, at 21:29 , David Holmes wrote:
>>> I've flagged this elsewhere but you may not have seen it:
>>> + * Predicate<String>
>>> If we use < then we should also use >.
>> It's not required to use > in HTML 4.01 transitional or HTML 5.0. Doclint was complaining about this but it has (or soon will be) amended. It could still be a style requirement to use >
> Nothing like being inconsistent :( (that's directed at HTML standard)
>> I will push this changeset with ">" but assume that if the decision is to require ">" then doclint will remind us thoroughly and repeatedly to correct this before Java 8 is released.
>>> Aside: it would be much easier to maintain consistent style if we used a "template" to define the main outline of each family of interfaces and generated the specializations from that (similar to how we generate the various bytebuffer classes).
>> Like Chris I have mixed feelings about templating for similar reasons. Our current generated sources work very poorly with IDEs. If we can improve the user experience with generated sources I would be very much willing to consider it.
> As I replied to Chris I didn't mean that as a permanent feature or even something committed at this stage - simply a tool to help with these repetitive definitions of class/method docs to ensure that they are consistent in the way they name and express things. Maybe there isn't enough commonality to make this worthwhile (you may still have multiple templates to keep consistent), but I know from past experience that this level of consistency is one of the hardest things to get right - it is tedious and error prone.
I have been using a merge tool, meld, to try to make fewer transcription errors between the primitive specializations. I agree that some form of template would be the best solution in the long run.
We could add an explicit gensrc target to our make process which caused all of the generated/templated sources to be build for consumption by IDEs (and later build phases). This is the workflow used by maven projects and it seems to be OK. When you clone or update a maven project you re-run the equivalent of configure+gensrc to get the project ready for use by IDE tools.
>> Thanks again!
More information about the core-libs-dev