RFR: 8006039 : test/tools/launcher/I18NJarTest.java fails on Mac w/ LANG=C, LC_ALL=C

Brent Christian brent.christian at oracle.com
Fri Feb 22 23:56:56 UTC 2013

On 2/21/13 7:33 PM, Kumar Srinivasan wrote:

> A nit
> - " LC_ALL" + LC_ALL + "\n" +
> + " LC_ALL=" + LC_ALL + "\n" +

Done, thanks.

> If Mac is the only system affected by this, should we make the checks for
> LC* and LANG specific to Macs since other platforms don't have this issue ?
> I am concerned this might pass vacuously on systems configured correctly.

LANG/LC_ALL=C is not a correct configuration for running this test.  It
ought to pass vacuously in this case (and does, AFAIK, on other platforms).

What is Mac-specific is that sun.jnu.encoding is now always set to
UTF-8, even under LANG/LC_ALL=C.  The test sees this, and tries (and
fails) to run the "real" test instead of passing vacuously.

I don't think it does any harm to check for LANG/LC_ALL != 'C' on other
platforms.  But it's only on Mac that it's required in order to detect a
mis-configured test environment.

>> Of course it would be even better to update the test so the automated
>> test machines actually test the intended functionality.
 >> I can file a separate bug for this.

I've filed 8008761 (test/tools/launcher/I18NJarTest.java should
automatically setup its environment) to cover this.

To be clear, my short-term goal is to take I18NJarTest back off the
ProblemList.  The test does correctly test the intended functionality
under the default Mac environment (LANG=en_US.UTF-8).  So I want to get
it running again for engineers using the "jdk_tools" test target on
their local Mac (without causing nightly test failure noise).

Later, as time permits, I can tackle 8008761, and get the test to
configure its own environment.

Thanks,
-Brent