Review request: 8040059 Change default policy for extensions to no permission

Sean Mullan sean.mullan at oracle.com
Wed Apr 23 20:10:30 UTC 2014

Just a few comments:

1. When you write a test that uses the jtreg /policy option, the policy
file overrides the system policy file. If the test depends on a standard
extension, then you may get SecurityExceptions unless additional perms
are granted. Thus, there are quite a few tests that define their own
policy files and duplicate the grant statement for extensions from the
system policy:

     grant codeBase "file:${{java.ext.dirs}}/*" {
         permission java.security.AllPermission;
     }

These tests should be modified to only grant the necessary permissions.
However, ideally I think that a better solution would be to add a jtreg
/policy option that doesn't override the system policy file, but rather
appends to it, for example, using "==" :

     @run main/othervm/policy==test.policy

(this is the reverse behavior of the java.security.policy system
property, so it might be a little confusing, so maybe it is better to
add a new option)

2. test/lib/security/java.policy/Ext_AllPolicy.java

I think you should also add a check for AllPermission.

3. jdk/nio/zipfs/ZipFileSystem.java

If I understand the changes, the previous code would throw
SecurityExceptions when run under a SecurityManager? It's not
specifically related to this bug, is it?

4. lib/security/java.policy

     grant codeBase "file:${java.home}/lib/ext/zipfs.jar" {
         permission java.io.FilePermission "<<ALL FILES>>",
"read,write,delete";

Hmm, granting that likely means you are just a hop away from getting
AllPermission ... not sure what to advise here, but there are several
cases like this for certain permissions (ex: RuntimePermission
"createClassLoader" is another one).

--Sean