JAXP JEP: Update Xerces implementation in the JDK

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Mon Feb 3 21:49:24 UTC 2014

On 03/02/2014 21:13, Martijn Verburg wrote:
> Hi Huizhe,
>
> Is there a possibility to look at having a more loosely coupled
> relationship between Xerces and what is core JDK? I'm thinking about (in
> combination with) Jigsaw that you could allow the Xerces components to be
> kept up to date more often (assuming API compatibility etc is retained).

Just to mention that are already service provider interfaces so you can
deploy with other parser libraries (or a more up to date Xerces). One of
things that we did as part of preparing for modules (JEP 162, JDK 8) was
to rev the JAXP API to clean up these the service provider interfaces
(for SAX, DOM, XSLT, XPath, Validation, Streaming, Datatype) and specify
the use of the ServiceLoader. So we're in a much better place now.

As regards getting the Xerces code in OpenJDK in sync with the upstream
project then that clearly would be desirable and probably more of a
longer term goal. I'll let Joe speak to how much the code has diverged
but one area of difference is that the original Apache code wasn't
really intended to ever be on the boot class path or run with a security
manager. In any case, I think this JEP is a good step as it brings the
implementations closer and also revs the support on a number of standards.

-Alan