RFR - 6857566 (bf) DirectByteBuffer garbage creation can outpace reclamation

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Feb 5 10:21:08 UTC 2014

On 05/02/2014 08:08, Peter Levart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm proposing a patch for the following issue:
>
>     https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-6857566
>
> The patch is basically the same as developed and tested as part of the
> following discussion 3 months ago:
>
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2013-October/021547.html
>

> It's just modified to be applied on top of JDK9 which already changed
> since then. Here's the webrev:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk9-dev/DirectBufferAlloc/webrev.01/
Thanks for re-basing the changes and from the previous discussion then I
think there was agreement on the approach. So I'd say this is ready to
go into jdk9/dev.

A minor comments on the usages of tryHandlePendingReferences in Bits
that it might be a bit neater to not split the line. At least when
looking at the patch then it makes it a bit more obvious what is
condition vs. statement in the while loop.

Another minor comment is that usually avoid System.exit in tests. It's
probably okay here as it always runs in othervm mode but in other modes
a System.exit(0) will be flagged by jtreg and will require it spin up
another VM.

I completely agree with separating the mapped buffers issue to a
separate issue.

Thanks again for running with this one (it goes back to original
implementation in JDK 1.4).

-Alan.