RFR [6943190] TEST_BUG: java/lang/Runtime/exec/ExecWithInput.java hardcodes path to cat

Ivan Gerasimov ivan.gerasimov at oracle.com
Mon Feb 24 17:26:39 UTC 2014

Hello!

We've got one quite old report about been unable to run the test under
Android.

That was due to hard-coded path to the cat utility as /bin/cat.
When investigating, I found two other tests under the same directory
that use /usr/bin/cat and /usr/bin/echo.
These two test seem to (almost) never run because of the unusual path.

Here's the first version of the webrev, with the fix to only three tests
mentioned above:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~igerasim/6943190/0/webrev/

java/lang/Runtime/exec/ directory has also got several other tests,
which run shell commands.
Some of them have absolute path and some of them don't.

So I have a general question: Why would we ever need the absolute path
for the commands?
Why wouldn't we rely on the PATH env variable?

Sincerely yours,
Ivan