Unsafe: efficiently comparing two byte arrays

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Wed Feb 26 17:21:40 UTC 2014

Every once in  a while I see an attempt to introduce a "general purpose"
unsafe array class, but efforts stall due to:
- it's not obvious whether unaligned access to e.g. 8 bytes via long is
even possible or more efficient than just reading 8 bytes
- endianness is an issue
- for best performance, you also want to elide those pesky array bound
checks (but hotspot can do a better job of that)

I think it's worth doing, but it's harder than it looks, and probably needs
help from the VM via intrinsics.

---

lexicographicalComparator saves a lot of cycles.