JDK-8060068/JDK-8067904 DriverManager clean-up introduces bootstrap problem that breaks production drivers

Robert Gibson robbiexgibson at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 12:07:42 UTC 2015

Thanks Alan,Note that the repro given in my mail is a bit simpler than the current defect description, especially if you don't have access to the "MyFace" JDBC driver.Regards,Robert

 On Friday, 3 April 2015, 13:04, Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman at oracle.com> wrote:
 On 03/04/2015 10:33, Robert Gibson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We are doing some early testing with JDK 9 and have discovered that the changes made to java.sql.DriverManager back in November/December have introduced an incompatibility with our JDBC driver (that we have used unchanged since Java 6) when it is pre-loaded with Class.forName (as recommended by Tomcat and specified as being harmless in the JavaDoc). We filed a bug report but it got an incident ID JI-9019539 and then disappeared into a black hole.

There does appear to be an issue with those changes. I've located the
incident and moved it to the JDK project as JDK-8076639 [1].

-Alan