RFR(s): 8132800: clarify stream package documentation regarding sequential vs parallel modes

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Mon Aug 3 23:09:04 UTC 2015

Hi Tagir,

Interesting issues.

Regarding Stream.concat, it may be that, today, changes to the
sequential/parallel execution mode aren't propagated to the streams being
concatenated. But is that something inherent to the specification of
concatenation, or is it something that might change in the future? It's
currently unspecified, so adding a clarification really sounds more like
changing the specification to reflect the current implementation, which I'd
prefer not to do.

Regarding the default implementations of takeWhile/dropWhile, again, today, they
don't propagate the execution mode upstream. But is this just a bug? Granted the
API for doing so isn't obvious, but isn't this something that could just be fixed?

s'marks