RFR [9] 8132468: docs: replace <tt> tags (obsolete in html5) for java.io, java.lang, java.math

Daniel Fuchs daniel.fuchs at oracle.com
Tue Aug 4 09:19:39 UTC 2015

Hi Alexander,

src/java.base/share/classes/java/io/File.java

1.

-     * <blockquote><tt>
getAbsoluteFile}())
-     * </tt></blockquote>
+     * <blockquote>
+     * {@code new File(f.}{@link
+     * #toURI() toURI}{@code ()).equals(f.}{@link
+     * #getAbsoluteFile() getAbsoluteFile}{@code ())}
+     * </blockquote>

Sorry I missed the <i></i> in my previous suggestion - so
wrapping the whole thing with <code> is probably the better idea,
something like:

     * <blockquote><code>
     * new File(<i> f</i>.{@link
     * #toURI() toURI()}.equals(<i> f</i>.{@link
     * #getAbsoluteFile() getAbsoluteFile()}
     * </code></blockquote>

Whatever you chose to do - please do verify how the new javadoc
looks when changing such complex formatted statements.

2.

-     * <blockquote><tt>
-     * new {@link #File(java.net.URI)
#getAbsoluteFile() getAbsoluteFile}())
-     * </tt></blockquote>
+     * <blockquote>
+     * {@code new }{@link #File(java.net.URI) File}{@code
.toURI()).equals(f.}
+     * {@link #getAbsoluteFile() getAbsoluteFile}{@code ())}
+     * </blockquote>

As Stuart noted this second change is wrong - it's missing
(f.
I also believe we should keep the original italics
around 'f'.

Can you please generate a specdiff so that we can verify that
there's nothing wrong with the new javadoc?
It is very easy to miss something with such changes...

best regards,

-- daniel