RFR (M/L): 8131168: Refactor ProcessHandleImpl_*.c and add implememtation for AIX

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 17:13:36 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Roger Riggs <Roger.Riggs at oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Volker,
>
> 1) ProcessHandle.java:243
>
> For the definition of the new commandLine method I would:
>
>   - Use @link instead of @code for references to commands() and arguments()
> for easy navigation
>
>   - @implNote[1] should I think be changed to @apiNote:
>   the text describes not the JDK implementation but is information about the
>   information returned and is use to the application developer, not the JDK
> implementation.
>
>   -  The specific references to Linux implementation command line length
> parameters seems out of place
>       and should be omitted.
>
>         /**
>          * Returns the command line of the process.
>          * <p>
>          * If {@link #command command()} and  {@link #arguments arguments()}
> return non-null
>          * optionals, this is simply a convenience method which concatenates
>          * the values of the two functions separated by spaces. Otherwise it
> will return a
>          * best-effort, platform dependent representation of the command
> line.
>          *
>          * @apiNote Note that the returned executable pathname and the
>          *           arguments may be truncated on some platforms due to
> system
>          *           limitations.
>          *           <p>
>          *           The executable pathname may contain only the
>          *           name of the executable without the full path
> information.
>          *           It is undecideable whether white space separates
> different
>          *           arguments or is part of a single argument.
>          *
>          * @return an {@code Optional<String>} of the command line
>          *         of the process
>          */
>         public Optional<String> commandLine();
>

> ProcessHandle.java:252: in arguments() method - @apiNote is a better fit for
> the note
>
> ProcessHandleImpl_macosx.c:276:   - indentation +4

Thanks for the correction. I've taken your wording you suggested.

> 2) ProcessHandleImpl_macosx.c:192:
>     if (errno != EINVAL) ...  There was previously this test,  I'm concerned
> that if the pid is invalid,
>     it will now throw a RuntimeException instead of returning -1.
>     I recall a discussion from May that recommended testing for EINVAL.
>     The sysctl in getCmdlineAndUserInfo also does not throw if errno !=
> EINVAL, so the usage
>     is not consistent (probably my coding) but needs investigation.

Not sure about this one and couldn't find any previous discussion
about the topic.

But, according to the sysctl man-page, EINVAL is only returned if:
 - The name array is less than two or greater than CTL_MAXNAME.
 - A non-null newp is given and its specified length in newlen is too
large or too small.

The first case can not happen because we always statically allocate
arrays of the correct size.
The second case can not happen as well, because we always have 'newp == NULL'.

So according to this information I don't see any reason why we should
check for EINVAL. I think the right solution is to check for 'oldlenp
> 0' which we already do. By the way, this is also the check applied
by the psutils (see the implementation of 'get_kinfo_proc()' in [1]).

So I wnated to also removed the last check for EINVAL in
getCmdlineAndUserInfo(). But for some reason, that seems to be really
necessary. Without it, we will get a RuntinmeException if we call
sysinfo for pid==0 for example. Further research showed that the
kernel seems to really return EINVAL for KERN_PROCARGS2 (see function
sysctl_procargsx() in [2]). But KERN_PROCARGS2 isn't specified as a
supported constant in the sysctl man-page, so the information there is
still valid :)

On the other hand, I found that the psutils alo handles EINVAL only
for KERN_PROCARGS2 (see get_arg_list() in [1]).

So to cut a long story short, I think the current implementation is
safe as it is now!

[1] http://psutil.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/psutil/arch/osx/process_info.c
[2] http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-1699.24.23/bsd/kern/kern_sysctl.c

> 3) ProcessHandleImpl_solaris.c can do without the includes:
> #include "jni_util.h"
> #include "java_lang_ProcessHandleImpl.h"
> #include "java_lang_ProcessHandleImpl_Info.h"
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> 4) Ditto ProcessHandleImpl_aix.c

Thanks, fixed.

> 5) ProcessHandleImpl_unix.c: 618:  typo  "fuctions" -> "functions"

Fixed.

> 6) ProcessHandleImpl_unix.c:463: Would it be worthwhile to put
> sysconf(_SC_GETPW_R_SIZE_MAX) in a static?

Good point! While doing this I realized that 'clock_ticks_per_second'
is only used on Linux. So I moved the declaration of
'clock_ticks_per_second' from ProcessHandleImpl_unix.hpp to
ProcessHandleImpl_linux.cpp and its initialization to  os_initNative()
in the same file.

I also declare a new static 'getpw_buf_size' in
ProcessHandleImpl_unix.cpp and initialize it in
Java_java_lang_ProcessHandleImpl_initNative() in the same file.

> 7) OnExitTest.java: exits without an error, just output in the log; it would
> escape attention.
>     The code respects the timeout setting.
>     Suggest removing the 'return' @133; the test will produce some errors
> and when debugging
>     the note will be in the log.

Done.

> 8) ProcessHandleImpl_unix.h:58 - update the comment to include 0 as a valid
> parent pid.

Fixed.

> Looks pretty good,
> Thanks, Roger

Thanks:)

I've also added two rudimentary tests for the new commandLine()
function to InfoTest.test2():

 - if both, 'command()' and 'arguments()' are available, I check that
'commandLine()' starts with 'command()' and contains all the arguments
from 'arguments()'.

 - otherwise, if 'commandLine()' is available, I check that it at
least contains 'java'.  And as long as it is big enough it should also
contain the corresponding arguments.

The two new tests have been verified to pass on Windows, Linux, MacOS
X, Solaris and AIX.

The new version can be found here:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~simonis/webrevs/2015/8131168.v6/

Regards,