RFR 9: 8138696 : java.lang.ref.Cleaner - an easy to use alternative to finalization

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri Dec 4 09:48:38 UTC 2015

On 03/12/15 21:47, John Rose wrote:
> We are takeing a crack at it with Panama, since using C APIs
> often requires timely deallocation of (non-Java) temps.

Indeed it does, and I guess I'll wait.  I'm a bit disappointed because
I quite fancied trying to do mapped ByteBuffer.close().  While I could
hold off and wait for your more ambitious solution, I wonder if it
makes more sense for me to do something anyway.  Some big data people
seem to be suffering with this problem, so a solution to just
ByteBuffers might be more timely than Panama.

Andrew.