RFR (S) 8145428: Optimize StringUTF16 compress/copy methods for C1

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at CoSoCo.de
Thu Dec 17 13:54:42 UTC 2015

Am 17.12.2015 um 08:54 schrieb Aleksey Shipilev:
> On 12/17/2015 02:34 AM, Ulf wrote:
>> I'm wondering why moving the increment operation to an extra line wound
>> enhance performance.
> Because C1 is very straightforward, and code movement like that is a
> poor man's instruction scheduling, that pads out the data dependency
> between index update and indexed access.

Thanks.
Shouldn't this simple optimization be addressed to javac?
Otherwise programmers always risk some performance when using the post-increment idiom, which IMHO
is good code style.

-Ulf