Unsafe.park/unpark, j.u.c.LockSupport and Thread

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Tue Feb 10 12:02:43 UTC 2015

Hi Paul,

When we added j.u.c there was reluctance to add these methods to Thread
- this was the normal policy (for the time) of don't touch the core
classes. So LockSupport is the public API and Unsafe was chosen as the
implementation as it is a de-facto interface to the VM from JDK code
rather then defining explicit native methods (I must admit I'm unsure
why we went this route rather than simply hooking into jvm.cpp with
JVM_park/JVM_unpark. I think in many ways it was/is just easier to call
an Unsafe method and define a new unsafe.cpp native call. Plus we had a
bunch of other Unsafe API's being used from j.u.c.)

So we can't just move things from LockSupport to Thread as we'd need to
deprecate first etc etc. But I don't see any reason why we couldn't move
the implementation from unsafe.cpp to jvm.cpp and invoke via a native
method implementation of LockSupport. It would still be just as "unsafe"
of course.

Aside: this is where the infamous "spurious wakeup" from park() can
arise. If you just randomly unpark() a Thread there is nothing to
guarantee that the thread doesn't terminate and free its native
resources while you are working on it. But the ParkEvents are
type-stable-memory, so even if the event has been disassociated from the
target thread you can still call unpark() as it is never freed. However
if that ParkEvent has since been reused by another thread, then that
thread will encounter a "spurious wakeup" if it calls park().

Cheers,
David