RFR 8071479: Stream and lamdification improvements to j.u.regex.Matcher

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Wed Feb 11 01:02:13 UTC 2015

Hi Paul,

I spent some time looking at this API. Overall it seems to me that things work a
bit more nicely when these methods are added to Pattern instead of Matcher.
Unfortunately there are some odd things with the existing API that make this
tradeoff not so obvious.

First, here's what a simple replacement operation looks like when replaceAll()
is added to Matcher:

         String input = "fooaaaabbfooabbbfoo";
         Pattern p = Pattern.compile("a*b");
         Matcher m = p.matcher(input);
         String result = m.replaceAll(mr -> mr.group().toUpperCase());

But if replaceAll() is on Pattern, we can skip a step:

         String input = "fooaaaabbfooabbbfoo";
         Pattern p = Pattern.compile("a*b");
         String result = p.replaceAll(input, mr -> mr.group().toUpperCase());

Getting stream of match results is similar. So yes, I agree that it simplifies
things to have these be on Pattern instead of Matcher.

An advantage of having these on Pattern is that the matcher that gets created is
encapsulated, and its state isn't exposed to being mucked about by the
application. Thus you can avoid the additional concurrent modification checks
that you have to do if replaceAll et. al. are on Matcher.

Unfortunately, putting these on Pattern now creates some difficulties meshing
with the existing API.

One issue is that Matcher already has replaceAll(String) and
replaceFirst(String). It would be strange to have these here and to have
replaceAll(replacer) and replaceFirst(replacer) on Pattern.

Another issue is that Matcher supports matching on region (subrange) of its
input. For example, today you can do this:

     pattern.matcher(input).region(start, end)

The region will constrain the matching for certain operations, such as find()
(but not replaceAll or replaceFirst). If something like results() were added to
Matcher, I'd expect that it would respect the Matcher's region, but if results()
(or matches() as you called it) were on Pattern, the region constraint would be
lacking.

Also note that Pattern already has this:

     static boolean matches(regex, input)

so I don't think an overload of matches() that returns a Stream would be a good
idea. (Maybe findAll()?)

Another issue, not directly related to where the new lambda/streams methods get
added, is that MatchResult allows references only numbered capturing groups.
Matcher, which implements MatchResult, also supports named capturing groups,
with the new overloaded methods group(String), start(String), and end(String).
These were added in Java 7. Logically these also belong on MatchResult, but they
probably weren't added because of the compatibility issue of adding methods to
interfaces. Maybe we should add these as default methods to MatchResult.

(But what would the supported implementation be? Just throw
UnsupportedOperationException?)

--

I'm not entirely sure where this leaves things. It certainly seems more
convenient to have the new methods on Pattern. But given the way the existing

s'marks